Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Simple Spaghetti Squash

Have you ever tried spaghetti squash?! I've been intrigued by this pasta imposter (impasta!) for quite some time so decided to finally test it out for myself...and it was delicious! As it was probably the priciest vegetable I've ever purchased (over $7!), I reallllly didn't want to eff up the cooking of it, but thankfully it turned out perfectly. I was afraid that the strands would be really mushy, but they actually had a great bite to them, and the bland flavour pairs well with any type of sauce. Obviously, it doesn't taste quite the same as real pasta, but at 1/5th of the calories, it's a pretty good trade-off. 

Here are the simple steps I followed to prep it:

1. Cut the squash in half (lengthwise for shorter strands; widthwise for longer ones -- I did the latter).

2. Scoop out the seeds and pulp.

3. Place the halves (cut-side down) on a plate and microwave for 12 minutes.

4. Scrape out the inside with a fork (the fun part!). 

5. Serve with your sauce of choice -- I opted for a pre-made alfredo sauce.



{Cut-open spaghetti squash with innards intact}

{I never realised quite how...seedy...this vegetable is. Apparently you can save the seeds and roast them for a tasty and healthy snack if you're so inclined}

{The finished product! Doesn't it look so legit?!}

So there you have it -- a healthy and simple meal in minutes! I was pleasantly surprised at how filling spaghetti squash is (I felt just as satisfied after a bowl of it as I would have with the same amount of the real deal). And there's so much of it too -- definitely more than enough for two hungry people, and could easily feed up to four.

6 comments:

  1. Looks good!
    xx
    theblackblush.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need to make a statement on every event, you need to buy this one. A perfect addition for your wardrobe this season. You dont want to think, you just want to BUY
    Ayesha.b

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was suggested this website by my cousin. I am now not sure whether this submit is written by means of him as no one else recognise such targeted about my difficulty. You are amazing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurrah! Finally I got a webpage from where I be able to truly get valuable facts regarding my study and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right away I am going to do my breakfast, later than having my breakfast coming yet again to read further news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject? I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete